My dilemma as an SLT
How best to support speech and language therapists who are working with children and adults who stutter so that they work as allies in the context of evidence which shows that stuttering therapy has an overall positive effect. No one treatment approach for stuttering demonstrates significantly greater effects over another treatment approach. Herder, Howard, Nye, & Vanryckeghem (2006).
- Need to validate professional identities that support.
- Learning from people who stutter.
- Therapy which focuses on positive outcomes in terms of children and adults living the lives they want to live and the development of therapy that focuses on education and resistance to normalising discourses.
- Resists focus on fluency and cure in therapy.
- Focus on confidence, fun and delight in finding and validating identities which fit with our dreams, hopes and ambitions.