Rethinking covert stuttering (Constantino, Manning, Nordstrom, 2017)
- How do people who pass as fluent constitute themselves?
- Expected a straightforward study of ableism and repression.
- Got stories of resistance and agency.
- Participants did not see why stuttering was any more authentic than fluency.
- Passing is not repressed stuttering but a unique form of stuttering constituted by specific practices of self.
- Passing resists both how biology suggests a stutterer must talk and what privileges society says stutterers should have access to.
No items found.