- How the meaning/cultural currency of feelings/emotions change over time.
- Emotions as shaped by cultural/political forces
- Representation of emotions in literature/film as revealing of the power structures at work.
- ‘Affect’ is used in different ways in different fields (neuroscience, psychology and literary/cultural studies).
- Sara Ahmed, Lauren Berlant and Sianne Ngai – critics for whom affects are crucially connected to structures of power (social/cultural/political); also interested in how affective states stretch our capacity to name them but haven’t cut loose from language and cognition.
- Sianne Ngai (Ugly Feelings), she’s interested in those feelings that are seen as unproductive/marginalised.
No items found.